Sunday, March 25, 2007

Smallmouth Scouting Trip

Yesterday I went for a walk along the Potomac to scope out some smallmouth water near my house that I have not fished before. This stretch is upstream of where the Shenandoah flows into the Potomac. Nice trail follows the C&O Canal, and there are some interesting artifacts of the canal structure remaining.

The water looks really promising in this area, although the flow was really high (28,000 cfs) so it's hard to tell exactly what it's going to be like when the water goes down. Access will surely be easier, though, as at this level there would be very few places to safely enter the water. Anyway, the venture got me psyched for smallmouth fishing when the water temps creep up just a tad more. And next month I should have my new rod selected specifically for smallies. I look forward to a fun summer!




No comments: