Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Photo of the Week

This obviously has nothing to do with fly fishing, but hey, I had a few fishing related posts in a row which is pretty good for me. This photo was taken by George Steinmetz, a contributing photographer for National Geographic, and is one of my favorite images of all time. If you haven't seen it before, and you don't think it's the coolest thing you'll see all day, you're not looking closely enough.

I asked George about how the opportunity for this photograph came about and he was kind enough to share this with me:
It was a situation I've photographed before, as I've done a lot of flying over deserts in the Middle East and Africa. What made this particular location special was the multi-colored ground. I couldn't think of a better way to shoot it (trying to be original) and went back to vertical view, which is a bit tricky to do as I'm piloting a motorized paraglider while photographing, and I have to do a spiral turn with one hand while shooting with the other, so I can get my butt out off to the side and look straight down. I shot a lot of film that day, and came away with a winner.
You did indeed, George! Thanks for the use of the image.

No comments: