Wednesday, March 07, 2007

I wonder what the poor people are doing today...

I can remember it like it was yesterday, my Dad and I in a canoe on a lake in Quantico, VA. Me letting the occasional bluegill steal a worm from the hook suspended beneath the red and white bobber, my Dad leaning back with a cold Pabst Blue Ribbon, squinting in the sunshine and saying, "I wonder what the poor people are doing today." He always said it. Being a kid, I often repeated it (although it was decades later before I fully grasped its meaning).

Today I'm reminded of the wealth my Dad found in sitting in a quiet canoe not catching fish, as Ed Nabors of Rocky Face, Georgia stepped up to claim his half of the record $370 million Mega Millions Lottery jackpot. Ed said, as I would have, he plans to "do a lot of fishing." I had my share of Mega Millions tickets, and I have to say, if I wasn't going to win it, I'm glad it went to a truck driving fisherman whose first thoughts were to buy a new boat, a home for his daughter who now lives in a mobile home, and go fishing. He said he planned to drive a truck "for at least two more days." God bless him.

No comments: