Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Florida Wildlife

Well, not a lot of fishing got done this weekend, and no fish to report. But many photos were taken. So instead of a fishing report, here's a photo essay from the Sunshine State...

Why the long face? Pelicans on the pier at Flagler Beach. They didn't catch any fish either. At least not while I was there.

Royal Tern, same pier. I thought this guy looked like a candidate for hair plugs. If your bald spot meets your receding hairline, it's time to do something.

Is there a bigger dork in the animal kingdom than this guy? I think not.

We watched the sandpipers for hours...

...well, we weren't JUST watching sandpipers. That would be boring, now, wouldn't it. (Yes, I have been known to drink watery mass-produced American beer while at the beach. After all, you've got to stay hydrated!)

I had never driven on the beach before! But you can do it at Ormand Beach, north of Daytona, where I snapped this picture of my Fishing Transport Vehicle (note the license plate). It was pretty fun, a little like driving in the snow.

Also fun: This bar in Orlando where the bartenders danced on the bars and where I think there might have been some other band thing or something. Details fuzzy.

One more note about wildlife. We saw three bald eagles on this trip. Two in Florida -- one was actually eating carrion off the highway, I did not know they did that. The other we saw flying. We also saw one on the drive back, in Virginia, north of Richmond. I know they are making a huge comeback in the east, but it is ALWAYS a special occasion when you see one.

4 comments:

opax said...

Nice Birds!

Ed. said...

America's wildlife is indeed special...

Hey Opax, I have been trying to comment on those AMAZING realistic flies on your site, but keep getting an error. Problem at my end, probably?

Anonymous said...

If you have problems with Blogger/Google identity, try "Other". Add your name and website manually to the comment.

Joel said...

Hmmmm...I'll bet those dancers would look pretty darn good with one of those fly shop tattoos!

What do ya think ED?

Joel