Saturday, October 13, 2007

Maine: The Float.


Douglas and I floated the 3.5 miles of the East Outlet guided by Dan from Maine Guide Fly Shop. Dan has a reputation of being The Man in that part of Maine when it comes to fishing. Here's Douglas and our ride...


I got the first fish of the day, this is a female landlocked salmon, and Dan said it was likely two and a half years old, her first annual trip into the river.


Here's Dan holding the same fish...


Then it was Douglas' turn, and he caught I think four brook trout in a row. This first one was a really nice size...



But the colors on the second fish were absolutely stunning...


Next up I found a match for my earlier salmon, this time a male of the same age. Colored very much like a brown trout...


The river dumps out into Indian Pond, an enormous (by my east coast standards) body of water without a visible structure anywhere around the perimeter. With the exception of a few beautiful campsites accessible only by boat, this place looks like it looked a thousand years ago.

No comments: