Friday, May 11, 2007

Mother's Day Tribute

My Mother passed away last night, suddenly, though she had multiple health problems. Last year for Mother's Day I wrote this for her, and it pleased me greatly to see that she had it framed and hanging in her bedroom. This year the gift becomes a tribute. Odd place for it, maybe, but this journal is about who I am, and I am that person because of my Mom.

I recently held a hummingbird in my hand. He had accidentally flown into a window and fallen, unconscious, on the ground in front of a busy doorway. He looked like nothing, upside down, his white belly close to the color of the concrete beneath. But something made me look closer, and when I picked him up he moved a bit.

I moved him away from the human traffic, and sat on a nearby bench. Alive. Stunned, but with no visible injuries. His eyes opened, and I gave him the opportunity to fly from my open hand. He politely declined, and with an invisible gesture asked for a little more time to gather his wits. I assured him – by holding my hands in a way that he was protected and secure, but could leave if he chose to – that this was now the most important thing in my day, and if he needed all day he could have it.

So we sat there. Him clearing cobwebs and me just thinking, how lucky for me to have the opportunity to hold a hummingbird in my hands. How lucky for this bird that I came along.

My thoughts drifted back many, many years. Back to the house I grew up in, back to an injured bird in the gutter in front of that house, and back to my Mother. A shoebox, some paper towels, a lamp. It was exciting, I thought, to have part of the outside world sitting here in a box on the dining room table. I asked her how long before the bird would be better. She was a nurse, after all, clearly she knew how to fix a bird.

I wanted to name it.

When she told me that she wasn’t confident the bird would get better (it wouldn’t), I remember instantly distancing myself from the bird emotionally. I felt like I had dodged a bullet narrowly by being moments away from deciding on a name.

My Mother, of course, saw instantly what I was doing and we had what stands now as my Earliest Remembered Meaningful Conversation. She asked, as a nurse, what would happen if she stopped caring about patients who were not getting better? Patients who were going to die? They needed her more than ever during those times.

I was young, I don’t recall how young. And I don’t recall the words she used to express and make me understand compassion. And Lord only knows how she made it be a part of me. But that’s how it is with these things. You can’t identify how it is that your Mother makes you who you are, exactly. But you know that she did.

And now so many years later, on Mother’s Day, I think about how at many other moments in my life my Mother taught me. Showed me. Shaped me. Held me, protected me, and gave me room to fly away. And I hope she knows that I noticed. That I remember. That the only thing I really forget is to thank her, and for that I am sorry.

With a big smile and a full heart, I watched my hummingbird finally gather himself, walk with his little feet to the edge of my palm, and fly away.

I am my Mother’s son. For that I’m glad and for that I’m proud. Happy Mother’s Day.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

What a beautiful and loving tribute to your Mother. I'm sure she is still looking over you with a smile on her face and full of pride.

tadcranky said...

Very nice.

Jay said...

My condolences Ed.
Take care!

Anonymous said...

A beautiful tribute. She really was the definition of mother to teach you those life lessons.

Anonymous said...

i am sorry to read of your loss. i lost my mom in november of 2006. it is, needless to say, a major event in one's life... all the best.

sincerely,

reuben

Joel said...

Great tribute Ed. Sorry again to hear of your loss.

Joel

Susie Sunshine said...

I'll tell you what a wise, older woman told my sons when they performed a small kindness for her:
You have obviously been raised by a lovely woman.