Monday, May 21, 2007

Flyfishin' Picks Preakness, Toots Horn

This might just look like a piece of paper with a bunch of marks on it. But what it really is, is a Good Day. Friday night before Preakness I printed this out, along with the past performances of all the horses running at Pimlico Saturday, and I made my picks. There were no odds listed, so I didn't know if I was picking favorites or longshots. My handicapping capability is sketchy at best, but I like to try it anyway.

So the red numbers on the side are my pics, small numbers next to the larger red numbers are my second choice for some of the races. Circled numbers are horses that won, horizontal lines lost and X's were scratched and didn't run. So take out the two scratches and I picked 7 of 11 winners on the day. If you're not familar with horse racing, I am on solid ground stating that is Not Bad.

The 12th race, the Preakness, was awesome. I liked Curlin (see my last post!) with a Curlin/Street Sense exacta. Winning early in the day allowed me to bet that race pretty heavily (for me). The stretch run at Pimlico is so long, it provides an incredible amount of excitement when two horses are battling it out. When Curlin and Street Sense passed us, maybe thirty yards left till the finish, I knew I had the exacta but really wanted that Curlin win bet. I was sure I had it and screamed till I lost my voice. The replay, though, was much closer than I expected! But in a very short time they put the 4 horse on top of the 8, and combined for my best Preakness day ever. Some more pictures...

Curlin's jockey Robby Albarado celebrates a hard fought victory...


Curlin and grooms after the race...


Infield mayhem...


You've said it all...

No comments: